The Latino Community Foundation launched the California Latino Agenda (CLA) to strengthen the Latino community’s voice and participation in public policy. We are dedicated to ensuring that our communities have the tools they need to get involved and to participate civically.
The Latino Legislative Caucus just released the Legislative Priorities for the 2015 bill cycle, which include issues spanning immigration, health care and community revitalization. We encourage you to take a look! Also, if you want to learn more about the Latino Caucus, click here.
Latino Legislative Caucus priority legislation for the 2015 bill cycle:
- SB 4 (LARA) HEALTH CARE COVERAGE FOR ALL. This bill ensures all Californians, regardless of immigration status, have access to affordable health care coverage.
- SB 249 (HUESO) CALIFORNIA ENHANCED DRIVER’S LICENSE. This bill allows for the creation of an Enhanced Driver’s License to reduce border wait times and increase economic gain produced by efficient and secure cross-border travel.
- SB 350 (DE LEÓN) CLEAN ENERGY & POLLUTION REDUCTION ACT OF 2015. This bill seeks to create jobs, grow the state’s economy, and improve public health by raising the renewable portfolio standard, reducing petroleum, and increasing energy efficiency in buildings by the year 2030.
- AB 2 (ALEJO) COMMUNITY REVITALIZATION AUTHORITY. This bill creates a new state authority capable of investing property tax increments focused on improving employment opportunities, repairing infrastructure, cleaning up brownfields and promoting affordable housing.
- AB 278 (HERNÁNDEZ) DISTRICT-BASED MUNICIPAL ELECTIONS. This bill seeks to increase civic participation by requiring district-based elections for cities whose population meets or exceeds 100,000 residents.
- AB 560 (GOMEZ) CIVIL ACTIONS: IMMIGRATION STATUS. This bill ensures the protection of minor children from having their immigration status exposed or used when seeking civil recourse or recovery for past intentional or negligent acts that cause harm or suffering.
- AB 904 (PEREA) CLEAN REUSED VEHICLE REBATE PROJECT. This bill implements a Clean Reused Vehicle Rebate Project, to increase access to clean vehicles by creating a secondary clean vehicle marketplace which is more affordable for all Californians.
- AB 1351 (EGGMAN) PRETRIAL DIVERSION FOR MINOR CRIMES. This allows for pre-trial diversion, instead of post-plea deferred entry of judgment, for certain nonviolent, misdemeanor offenses.
- AB 1461 (GONZALEZ) CALIFORNIA NEW MOTOR VOTER ACT. This bill will register eligible residents to vote when they obtain or renew a driver’s license from the Department of Motor Vehicles.
We invite you to join us on May 20, 2015 for our 3rd Annual California Latino Agenda, Sacramento Summit. We are committed to leveraging the power that exists in the Latino community by connecting, educating, and investing in a unified movement for and by Latinos. At this year’s Summit, expect the active participation of more than 150 Latino leaders, advocates and cross-sector partners. Together we can advance smart policy solutions!